1. Moscow is the capital city of Russia, although it was replaced by Saint Petersburg as the capital for more than 200 years from 1712-1917.
2. Moscow is the 6th largest city in the world, with a population of 11,503,501 in 2010.
3. The millionth citizen of Moscow was born in 1897.
4. Moscow State University is the world’s largest university building in the world.
5. The Moscow Metro opened in 1935 and is the second most busy subway system in the world. Nine million passengers use the Moscow metro daily. This is more than London and New York subways combined.
6. Moscow was named after the Moskva River, and the name „Moscow“ means „city by Moskva River“ in old Russian.
7. Yuri Dolgoruki is the founder of Moscow city.
8. Christianity is the main religion of Moscow, most people following the Russian Orthodox Church.
9. Arbat street is one of the oldest in Moscow. It’s 520 years old.
10. Moscow is served by three major airports: Sheremetyevo, Domodedovo, and Vnukovo.
629 thoughts on “10 INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT MOSCOW, RUSSIA”